Wednesday, August 4, 2010

This Old House



We live in a very small old house! It was built sometime in the seventies, when mission brown was popular. I give our house such a hard time, and it’s not its fault that it is so ugly. All it needs is some tender love and care. My husband and I are full of ideas and dreams of all the things we could do. But we are short on funds and free time to give it a full renovation. We have painted the walls white cotton (with a couple of colourful feature walls thrown in) and change the old daggy dark curtains into white wooden blinds. And that’s about it, in the almost 14 years we have lived here together.


Our garden is pretty much nonexistent; the only plants alive are the ones that didn’t die during the drought. I try and plant little plants but I seem to have a black thumb and they always die shortly after. We do have this great idea to plant all natives in the hopes that they will stand the test of time. This would mean we would pull out all the ferns and crap that almost dies every summer. Oh and if we watered and weeding it would properly help.


We as a family of five have pretty much out grown our home. I dream of a nice big two story freshly built house with a bedroom for everyone, two or three living spaces instead of one we currently have. We are trying to make it happen with a smart money plan. Hopefully we will achieve our goal within a short period of time.


Meanwhile, my poor little house will have to do! I need to look at the beauty within after all we have made this house our lovely home.


Retro is cool, right?



7 comments:

Surprisingly Susie said...

haha Retro is cool, and that's the theme I'm rockin' at my house! I will have to do a post similar to this because I too have an old 70s brick house in desperate need of renovation as well! The use of 'poo brown' is sickening! What were they thinking back then??? My fiancee has been painting as much of it out as possible this past month. We don't have any plants either! I'd love so much to landscape the yard. One day! x

Kelly said...

Hi Susie, nice to know I'm not the only one that lives in a poo brown house :)

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Oh mission brown - what were they thinking? I love that lamp of yours!

Kelly said...

Thanks honey, the outside lamp is the only good thing about the front of our house!

MultipleMum said...

We have an equally small, equally 1970s house but somehow managed to dodge the mission brown. Happy about that. My Dad loved the stuff! It is hard to complain when it is our 'home' and the kids are too young to care. Like you guys though, we have the dreams and are madly trying to get the cash together for the extension...

Erin Wallace said...

Love retro! My house is a 1968 brick ranch with the original midcentury modern kitchen and bathrooms. I love showing people my pink wall mounted toilets!

Thanks for the kind comment.

xo Erin

{Amy} said...

kelly- i live in a big old house, around 90-years old. it is just what we wanted BUT is old and needs lots of work...one little project at a time! i know how you feel though, sometimes it can be overwhelming, huh?